Thursday, September 10, 2020

'Cuties' is a Clear Case of Sexualizing Children and its Filmmakers Should be Ashamed

'Cuties' is a Clear Case of Sexualizing Children and its Filmmakers Should be Ashamed
Courtney Kirchoff - September 10, 2020 at 06:31PM


First it was the poster, then it was the trailer, and now the film has confirmed it. The Neftlix movie "Cuties" really is as bad as everyone on Twitter said it was. I didn't have time to watch the whole film (and don't think I could stand to), but this afternoon I did manage to pull it up on my desktop computer so I could easily skim through it. The film is available to anyone who has a Netflix subscription, okay? Okay. But to illustrate just how bad this film is, I am going to include a few choice screen captures. I do this to illustrate the severity of the problem with this film, not to endorse or encourage anyone to watch it. Let's be real: pedophiles have already seen this film or are on their third rewatching. Also if you're an active pedophile, I strongly encourage fashioning yourself some heavy footwear and going for a swim.

By now you know the plot of this film surrounds an eleven-year-old girl, Amy, who wants to flee her "conservative" home life. Rather than doing something truly empowering like, I dunno, reading books and getting educated, Amy sees a girl her age dancing in the laundry room and then decides, yes, the slutty life is the life for me. If only Amy had stumbled upon a girl buried in a pile of books, or painting a masterpiece. But swaying the hips while dressed in a crop top is totally the same as reading Virginia Wolf.

Now I held my judgement on this film for a specific reason: the religious, conservative right has a way of conflating a subject being portrayed in fiction as an endorsement of it. That's not always the case. In fact it's often not the case. Still, I had my suspicion that Cuties was as rotten as it turned out to be. But I wanted to see how bad for myself.

The religious conservatives were right. This movie is disgusting.

Take this scene. This is following the girls doing a suggestive dance routine after which they wanted to "rank" themselves. Before this moment, the blond girl mocked Amy for having a flat butt.

I remember being eleven. Never once did anyone talk about flat butts.

Later in the film, Amy somehow tries to become a member of the dance team despite the dance team treating her like garbage. I understand kids and girls can be mean, but again, as someone who had a childhood AS A GIRL, this isn't normal behavior. Never mind, in the film it's treated as totally normal. In order to up the ante, Amy learns how to twerk by watching disgusting rap videos of women twerking (when she should've been praying). Then she teaches the dance troupe how to twerk.

That's the tamest capture I could snap.

Later in the film, the girls go to what appears to be Laser Tag (I skimmed, I didn't watch this trash) and to prove they made it into this slutty dance competition, twerk for the creepy staff.

That guy above is totally the target audience. Change my mind.

The film doesn't get better, it gets worse. But I feel like what I've included proves the main point.

The filmmakers weren't concerned with telling a story. This isn't about how a child escaped oppression by finding her own agency and independence. This is a story that glamorizes sexual exploitation of children for the purpose of encouraging children to exploit themselves sexually.

Why? Well clearly the left is pushing to normalize pedophilia. They've been on this crusade for at least five years that I can verify personally. But it's been going on much longer than that. There are perverts in our ranks. There are adults who want to exploit children for their own sick pleasures. From the looks of this film Cuties we might as well include everyone who brought this film to being among their ranks.

We shouldn't pretend this film is the only example of child exploitation. I do admit I roll my eyes at parents who happily put their girls in overly sexualized attire for beauty pageants. Netflix maybe felt they could get away with this film based on how long we've tolerated girls being portrayed as sex objects. Not young women, girls. Heck, a lot of models get their start at 12 to 14. Rock on, parents.

But "Cuties" isn't apologetic. It's not hiding. It knows what it is, it knows what it's doing. The sick part about it isn't the film itself, which is disgusting enough. The sick part is that the film felt now was the right time to thrive. Makes sense when, before COVID, "Desmond the Amazing" is dancing for adults and being praised for it, drag queens are reading to children (and those parents take them their voluntarily), and parents are actively trying to transition their children to something their not.

So yes. The filmmakers of Cuties should feel ashamed. But so should many parents who created the environment for this film to be comfortably released.

from Steven Crowder Says