Thursday, February 18, 2021

Ted Cruz Issues Statement Regarding His Trip to Cancun During the #TexasFreeze

Ted Cruz Issues Statement Regarding His Trip to Cancun During the #TexasFreeze
Brodigan - February 18, 2021 at 01:26PM


Ted Cruz has been trending all day Thursday. No, not for owning a lib or using his Jedi-like Twitter skills. Cruz was accused of leaving Texas and flying to Cancun. Normally, this would not be a big deal. But as I'm sure you have also seen on the news, Texas is under ArcticSnowMageddonGhaziPalooza. Power is out. Pipes are exploding. People are limited as to how much brisket they are allowed to buy. It's chaos.

So you can imagine, from a political standpoint, photos like this can be problematic for a Texas elected official.

I won't fault the left for the hit. If Chuck Schumer was caught fleeing a hurricane for a sunny getaway in Del Ray Beach, I would need a few minutes to myself. Cruz has since confirmed and issued an explanation.

This has been an infuriating week for Texans. The greatest state in the greatest country in the world has been without power. we have food lines, gas lines, and people sleeping at the neighbor's houses. Our homes are freezing and our lights are out. Like millions of Texans, our family lost heat and power too.

With school canceled for the week, our girls asked to take a trip with friends. Wanting to be a good dad, I flew down with them last night and am flying back this afternoon. My staff and I are in constant communication with state and local leaders to get to the bottom of what happened in Texas. We want our power back, our water on, and our homes warm. My team and I will continue using all our resources to keep Texans informed and safe.

I won't fault him for that. Nor, if I'm being honest, considering all the issues we have to be concerned about, does Cruz taking a trip bother me. There's nothing specific for him to do other than take photo ops of himself riding the back of a snowplow. Or help a stranded driver, conveniently enough with a camera crew. Politically, it looks bad. I'm sure Cruz knows that but took the hit for his kids. Or so he says.

Cruz will be on the wrong end of some snarky tweets and press releases from sanctimonious Democrats. We'll all move on by next week. As, hopefully, will the Texas freeze.

from Steven Crowder Says